View Single Post
      06-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #45
cas0625
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Unhappy 2012 F30 Engine Oil Pressure! Stop carefully

I just got the same "Engine Oil Pressure! Stop carefully" message in my 2012 F30 last week. I have been reading many threads with different situations showing different symptoms like lost of power, sudden stop, etc... which is not my case.

The oil change was done recently (about 2-3 weeks ago) in a local BMW repair shop. It was passed for 100 - 200 miles. I don't think that is too long. I have a C230 and have extended beyond that couple of times in his life and never complaint.

The car is running well, I feel no lost of power, no weird sound other than the normal peculiar F30 sound.

It happened while I was in the highway, I stopped, turned the car off for a min or so, then start it again and no error came, I drove home no issue. I open the hood checked and all sound ok.

I took it to the repair shop, they hookup the BMW ODB diagnostic tool and check the car. Only error that showed up was related to one of the back door window mechanism, which definitely is not related.

I get it back, no error message at all for few day, then the error again. This time I drove straight to the repair shop without turning the engine off. They did a visual inspection and didn't see anything weird or any weird sound coming from the engine. They hook up the diagnostic tool (all this without turning the engine off and the error message on). Surprisingly the error didn't showed up in the ODB tool, just the same error as before.

They turned the engine off and on and the error goes away as always. They drove it around accelerated it and the error didn't showed up in the panel. They hooked up the ODB tool again and nothing related to an engine error came out.

Another odd thing is that when the error is on I try to check the oil level and it stop at 30% and move to the initial menu. Once I turned the car off and on it run completely and show the oil level is full. So not sure it could be a bad oil level sensor, not sure if that causes that kind of error.

I was expecting that error to be caught by the ODB scanner but there is nothing. No timing, cam, sensor or pump, nothing that can point or give a clue of what could be wrong.

Have anyone experienced this kind of odd situation? Any advise?

I hope is not a faulty engine as it is already out of warranty. 95K miles.

Although the oil level seems to be ok, I thinking on adding a quart to see if that resolve the issue.

Any advise will be appreciated.
Appreciate 0