02-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2002 View Post
Man i cant wait im so fired up about the m3 after for the first time in my life experiencing a smg gearbox in the gallardo(my friends). Each time you change a gear it feels like someone just kicked you in the back, simply amazing. Now my question how is the dsg gearbox going to be diffirent/better than the smg. Sorry for my stupid question.

Don't believe the DSG rumors. However, your friend's Gallardo is nothing like BMW's SMG; it's far superior! DSG is basically Porsche designed and utilized by Audi, which of course, is offered on the Lamborginis.

DSG is a refined dual clutch tranny, whereas BMW offers their version of the same theme; albiet with a single clutch. Both, of course, are sans clutch pedal. DSG allows the subsequent gear to be "pre-selected" or "engaged", thereby reducing much of the gear change before you actually make it. (I.E. If you are accelerating the next higher gear is selected for the anticipated shift and if you are decelerating the opposite occurs.) The current Ferrari (430) and contemporary Lambos use it, as will Porsche (beginning with the 2008 997/911) in the very near future. None of the exotic car manufacturers are using SMG technology.

Each tranny is still a manual gearbox, but the clutching is done with the system's electronics/hydraulics. Neither transmission has a torque convertor; which robs some horsepower.

I'm confident that my statements will offend some BMW fans, but it's how I feel based on what I've experienced and read about the two. I love M3's but wish BMW would replace SMG with DSG or similar tech to DSG. I really doubt that this will happen anytime soon, but I can still hope for it. If anything less than a DSG type tranny is offered, I will pick a traditional stick over SMG any day; and some purist will take the stick over any tech that takes from the experience of driving. Unless full boogie, a stick is far more fun, imo.
Appreciate 0