09-14-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
My SA has the Akra Evo exhaust on his E93 convertible, which was previously on his E92 Coupe. With the coupe he had the ESS tune but on the vert he used the Dinan tune due to cheaper cost (for him). The only difference he noticed was that the Dinan does NOT tune out the cold start program.

He's selling the exhaust since he's getting rid of the vert. Cost to me would be $4k for the full exhaust with CF tips and $400 labor (at BMW) to install the exhaust. The tune is an additional $1k.

If I go with the Dinan tune they'll do it at the dealer. If I go ESS I have to buy it and he'll do it at one of the tech's homes. Can't do that one at the dealer. He assures me it won't affect warranty should the worst happen. If it was ESS they'd just return it to factory. The car has 10k miles and 1.5 yrs left on the warranty.

Here's my issue: my commute is 1.5 miles so the car barely gets to nl temps before I'm done driving. I hate how choppy it is when cold so it sounds like I'd need the ESS tune.

Question 1: any reason why I should use the Dinan tune?
Question 2: is $4400 a reasonable price for a used Akra Evo exhaust installed by the dealer?

Quesiont 3: is there anything I'm not considering that I should be?

Thanks guys.
I think that is a great price for the evo sytem. I bought mine from and had it installed up a turner motorsports and it ran me about 7k new. So definately a great deal for the entire system.

Oh I forgot to mention that I hightly doubt that having a tune would be over looked if you had a catastrophic engine failure and trying to get warranty coverage for it. BMW tries their best to get out of pricey warranty work (particularly replacing an S65 motor). Its just the risk you take though ie: you gotta pay to play.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)
Appreciate 0