View Single Post
      04-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #20
Xyruss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 monaco blue 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
One question. Do you have to pick a branch of mechanical engineering? I ask because in my days and where i studied, we had to pick a branch and study in that field. I also were good at fluid dynamics so i picked fluid mechanics and the whole thing was a piece of cake.

As for civil vs mechanical engineering, since both civil and mechanical engineering are not that different than each other pick one that has more jobs available with higher salary. Sadly the days of "study what you like" are over. I for instance got my diploma in Mechanical engineering but for ME i switched to Industrial engineering which i didn't like at all simply because where i lived industrial engineers had much higher salaries than mechanical engineers. And as it turned out, it was a good move.
In my later years i belive we get more specialized. In mechanical im not sure what the options would be. The only thing i am not looking forward to in mech E is thermodynamics. i hate chemistry

which brings me to why i woulnt want to do chemical. By far chemical engineers make the most money, but i just would not want to be involved with any of the work they do.

with mechanical i feel like its the jack of all trades type of dicipline when it comes to engineering, at least from what i heard. so for my program selection, i picked mechanical co-op first (3.3 GPA requirement) and civil co-op second (2.7 GPA requirement). those baseline GPAs fluctuate through the years also, so we will see where my GPA lies, and ill let it decide the path i take. either way i feel like i will enjoy the work i do

EDIT**

"And as it turned out, it was a good move."

judging from your garage list i would have to agreel!! haha

also to the guys recommending computer,

where i live we are very oil/gas/industrial base. computer engineering here doesnt not have high demand nor high salary. on the other side i dont plan on staying here the rest of my life. i defianltey have intentions of moving to another country. i love canada, but i want to change things up for a bit.

Last edited by Xyruss; 04-03-2014 at 12:06 AM..
Appreciate 0