View Single Post
      04-21-2007, 02:49 AM   #35
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
SMG for race cars especially F1 cars (do your homework!). Manuals for luddites.

OK I don't really think the latter is true, it was more or less a sarcastic rubuttal to your totally false statement. But I am a "drivers driver" and I will get DCT only. Bottom line is DCT is better for track, acceleration times, flexibility (manual and auto modes), gf/wife borrowing, fuel consumption, customization (different shift programs in each mode), etc. Manual will be slightly less weight and give some a real but also perhaps a false sense of more "involvement" with the car. SMG/DCT allows you to simply focus on other aspects of your driving more, those parts that a pneumatic actuator and computer simply CAN NOT do. The part of driving that required and benefits from a HUMAN driver. Once you get a SMG/DCT wired during performance driving (and no am not even there myself yet) I think you will never want to go back.
Very interesting are your points "gf/wife borrowing" (so you confirm the quoted post that a "sunday" driver should go with MDCT) and customization. I think nothing can improve the customization of a manual. You don't need any shift programs, you get a continious customization by your left foot...
Without any doubt you're right about the track advantages, but you should further explain what you mean by "a real but perhaps false sense of involvement with the manual!?"

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0