View Single Post
      05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaKlix View Post
most of our cars also have a carbon fiber roof, which CF parts match. vorsteiner parts are not fiberglass with one layer of CF, my type 2 diffuser is all CF/resin. carbon fiber fabric itself also doesn't yellow, but cheap resin/lacquer can yellow. fortunately, vorsteiner doesn't use cheap resin and doesn't yellow.
I appreciate your response but even with the CF roof (which I don't have I might add), I still don't like the look personally. To each his own, just sharing my opinion here.

As far as Vorsteiner parts (let me just say that I do like them and they are of good quality), you are incorrect about their construction and yellowing. They are partly fiberglass and will yellow. I have seen pics on this site of a Vorsteiner diffuser that was cut apart and the use FG is clearly visible. I've also seen Vorsteiner parts that are yellowed from exhaust heat so they will yellow from UV eventually since the breakdown/degradation mechanism is the same.

Even if they weren't partly fiberglass, these parts aren't structural, resin infused/dry laid, autoclaved, high strength parts. They are cheap, weak, heavy (we are talking relative here), wet laid, cheesy versions of something that's meant to be functional on a race car. It's analogous to a $40 Pep Boys shopping cart wing on a FWD Civic. That's my point and opinion.