View Single Post
      09-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #35
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I have similar feeling like the OP stated.

Used to drive EP3 Civic 6MT, but was pretty worn out car.
then years later got this M3 6MT, and it does feel HARD and NOTCHY.

Didn't have a chance to drive other MTs extensively, until recently had a chance to drive MK6 GTI for a full week.

Simply put, GTI MT was SO smooth, So easy, SO forgiving. For example, it is SO easy to do NYC city driving, SO easy to k turn wherever compared to the M3.
Clutch is light, engagement point "range" is, from my experience, much more forgiving and longer than that of the M3.

My M3 does feel notchy 1-2 gear, and does demand quite a bit of FORCE when getting into each gear. M3 Clutch is deeper,longer.
GTI, you can literally shift with your pinky. Literally.

Difference is, BMW shifts are freaking TIGHT, they WILL stay in gear once it is in. You cannot wobble around the shifter both in gear or in neutral.

GTI manual, while being smooth, is SO LOOSE, it feels like it will pop out so easily, and it wobbles a lot, like the car has 500K miles on the tranny (this GTI was under 6K new car).

With that said, this is why M3 tranny is versatile and useful when driving harsh on track, on the other hand GTI is so easy to drive around town, yet is doubtful when driving hard.

In the end, I want to get a SSK or tranny fluid change to really avoid this cranky, notchy 1-2 gear feel (sometimes I feel like I'm grinding into another metal hard when shifting to second gear), i dunno how much the modification will make the difference

Recently had a chance to drive the new 2013 M5 MT. This clutch is the hardest to drive on, I dunno this is a new M5 thing or just because it is so new, but the clutch has HARD AXX Spring, it just POPS out even with the most sensitive left foot release. was quite difficult to even get into gears.
Appreciate 0