06-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #64
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
i'd be curious to get your take on the following situation:

many years ago, in my first job as a civil engineer, we often had projects in a bay area municipality. local public works regulations stipulated that if any work was going to affect the traveled way, an off-duty PD was required as part of the traffic control plan.

i remember one project; we were working on a saturday. i was off to one side w/ the project drawings, while the construction crew were standing around waiting for some equipment to arrive. the off-duty cop (note: they had to be present in their squad car + uniform, the OT paid for by the company doing the construction i think), chatting up the construction folks, basically bragging about the fancy SUVs he had bought for himself and his wife, "not on his cops salary, and that if they wanted any "stuff", he could hook them up out of the evidence locker". i don't recall any longer the exact slang term he used for "stuff", but i figured out that it probably meant drugs/narcotics. the construction guys figured out that this was a good time to get back to work, and wisely so i think.

questions:
-what % of PD are corrupt?
-what % of internal investigations actually lead to corrupt cops being put in jail (or is it usually swept under the rug)?
This is almost impossible for me to answer since I am not in the corruption business. I am not and therefore I would not be approached by those that are. I do IA investigations now, and while we don't have corruption, people do make bad decisions. If I catch you besmirching my profession, I will make sure you no longer work in the field. Jail is a very difficult proposition due to the wide variety of options departments have. But, jail has happened, it's just not as common as other remedies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Seems like a bunch of questions and no answers. But I'll ask and maybe we'll get some answers.

I talked to one of my police friends and he said when he's radaring/lasering on the interstate for speeders he only shoots the left lane. He said not only is riding in the right lane when not passing the law but it's actually much smarter bc the people in the left lane should be passing therefore going faster, or appear to. Do you have this strategy also?
This sounds like a good idea except you are assuming people follow that rule. In Chicago, everyone drives their slow ass POS in the left lane and screws up the flow. My strategy is to be a sneaky bastard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:bHd:. View Post
Do you get paid overtime to appear in court? And also from what you've seen, what is the best way to get the judge to dismiss a speeding ticket?
Yes. Prove you weren't speeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
did you know that the crown vic is 1 second slower in reverse (0-60) than in drive?

top speed in reverse is 63 in your cruiser too. test it, with your bullshit "calibrated" speedometer.
Nope, didn't know that. Might have to try that out the next time I drive one of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
So what do you do when you pull over a car for speeding and yet the car smells like smoked weed? have you ever come across this? how did you handle it? did you bag alot of people for smoking weed? or did you let most of them go?

serious questions, i want serious answers. thanks bro
I ask them where the weed is. If they are honest and it's a small amount, and they aren't douchebags, I might make them dump it and smash their handblown glass pipes. If it's a lot, they lie or are jackasses, I arrest them. (Remember, it is a violation of both possession and DUI law)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questforpower View Post
How does a cop afford a 335i and an srt8? Just curious... high rank is my best guess
Wouldn't know. I have an M3 and a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
how many times have you been in a vehicle chase and how many have gotten away?
Before they were prohibited by the huge liability? I was in three and I bagged all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1981 View Post
if a cop that pulls me over gets hit by another car and that driver runs away do i have to get out of my car to check on the cop?

i want the answer to this from a law standpoint not a "you should do this cause we are all people" standpoint.
No, it's your right to be an uncompassionate a-hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
God damn getting caught with weed would suck... Have you ever been to a crash sight where the driver was high on marijuana?
Yep. I was dispatched to a call where a Jeep Cherokee was spinning on it's roof after an accident. Guy was crawling around on the roof trying to figure out how to get out. After I opened the door, he looked me dead in the eye and said, "I need to split before the cops get here." I was in full uniform. Lab reports said weed, barbituates, cocaine and alcohol. He went to jail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
Mike I know you're very good at writing stories, which is why I asked what your craziest(SWAT related) experience is.
Getting shot with a beanbag less lethal round during training out of a 12GA shotgun. Ouch. Yes, I volunteered. Not my best decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0