Thread: Any Pilots here
View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #36
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have some flight training...maybe 15 hours in a Cessna 172, as well as a half hour each in the T-37, T-38, F-16, and two high performance gliders (as well as full-up simulators for the KC-135 and Space Shuttle- landed 'em both on the first try with about 5 minutes training, although it wasn't pretty)

Although it's great, I decided not to pursue it any further just based on the cost/reward/risk ratio. I look at a private pilots licesne as having two uses...

1) Transportation. However, unless you have a route of 150-350 miles you have to fly at least a couple times a week, have a car available at the end, and have very predictable weather, it'll be faster and/or cheaper to drive or buy a commercial flight. You're a slave to the weather, too. Many an experienced pilot has died from gotta-get-there-itis.
2) Fun. This makes more sense. You'll probably want an aerobatic aircraft, like maybe a Vans RV-8 or something. However, I doubt you'd really have more fun than in a glider. They're just so much simpler...purer...more elemental. I thought, in their own way, they were as enjoyable as the F-16. Of course, that's vastly higher performance, but in the glider you really "feel" the air. It's like being an 800 hp Camaro with no steering feel vs. a shifter cart- both tons of fun and high-performance in their own ways.

However, why stop there? If you really want elemental...to be one with the air, and fly for pure sport, why not go to a paraglider or hanglider, or take up skydiving and fly a wing-suit? I think those would be the most fun, and they're dramatically less expensive.

If you're still set on an airplane, you should look into a Light Sport Aircraft or ultralight.

Last edited by carve; 07-20-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0