View Single Post
      07-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #59
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleen View Post
Only some people that buy a Tesla do it because of its "green" credentials. A lot of people do it just because it's a hell of a car. That being said, I'm genuinely curious about lifecycle studies. Do you have any links?

20-30 minutes? Use a Tesla Supercharger to get from 50% charge to 100% charge. Perfect rest stop in a road trip. If you're in a hurry, use battery swap in 90 seconds.

Yes, electric cars are still not prevalent, in the same way that gas powered cars weren't prevalent until the Model T. Time will solve that issue.

I wonder where you get your information about the gasoline engine not polluting. Where do you live? I'm in Los Angeles and just looking at the sky proves otherwise.

And I actually see quite a few volts driving around...

Test drive a Model S, then come back here and we'll talk.

Yes I own an M3.
Yes it's my only car.
Yes I have test driven a Model S.
No I'm not buying a Model S.
Why? It's too expensive and too big for me.
Hopefully the next generation vehicle is gonna be in my price range.

the real polluters are the diesel rigs that are used at 500k miles a year for commerce delivery.

I used to do work in Auto industry and did some research on the pros/cons versus electric. Go find a Prius owner that will have to change the batteries soon and get their opinion. The Otto cycle (conventional) gas engine is def the least efficieny of other gas engine designs; however, nowadays auto companies have cut down emissions to almost nothing. Again see Honda. I also lived in LA at some time and yes your smog is terrible, but now, in 2013, there's much worse out there than the polluting of a 2000 and up Honda Civic. We need reform in the major transportation fields (planes/trains/large diesel rigs). Cars still pollute, but the impact is less than you may think. This administration and media has driven the hype of the electric car, but until we better the tech. of lithium ion batteries, its a lost cause.

Shit, my iphone can't last a full day!!!!

Consider the following:

I live in FL; we don't really have traffic, but we commute much further distances due to everyting being far away. I also drive for work. How far am I going to get each day while also having to stop at 30 min intervals to chrage a car. Very counterproductive if you ask me. I Could go on for days, but don't like typing so I'll stop here.

Oh yeah, electric cars are silent.. think about that one. No more engine noise/muffler swaps, etc. Sucks.
Sure they're fast as electric motors are instant torque, so it's like a golf cart, instant speed but will drop off fast.

The future should be in small displacement turbo and supercharged motors. Even compounding turbocharging and super turbocharging together (see Jag concept).
Appreciate 0