View Single Post
      11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #1
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

Opinion on USED Grand-Am Continental/Hoosier Race Tires

A number of reputable race teams sell their used grand-Am Cup specific Continental/Hoosier Race Tires. They are allegedly only lightly used and have between 2 and 4 heat cycles (or 2 hours) in them.

Does anyone around here have actual track experience with these? I am entertaining the idea of getting a set as they are pretty cheap. There are however a few things that worry me:
1. How many extra heat cycles can I expect to put into them before they're shot?
2. Are all used tires about even in their wear state?
3. I understand this is a spec tire that is not equivalent to other Hoosier tires. What's the closest equivalent tire in terms of tread wear? Hoosier R6, BFG R1? Toyo R888? Other?

I currently get about 6-8 track days out of my current track tires (NT-01 or R888). I like the idea of buying used track tires to lower the cost. However, if I can only get 2 or 3 track days out of them, and then you factor in the cost on mounting 4 tires, I'm not sure this is such an economical and convenient approach.

Any thoughts?

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0