02-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #65
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
While I agree with your sentiment that life is too short to drive a Civic, you are misled as to the earning capacity of physicians. General surgeons, at least here in CA, are lucky to make $150k, primary care is challenged to bring in even $100k. Even the busy orthopedists I know are making only about $250k unless they own their own MRI and surgery center.

ALL of the money in healthcare is going to CEOs and their executives, whether it be the insurance companies or the hospitals themselves.
Those numbers are a little low for SoCal, but you have to work HARD to make more than that. That includes seen patients in the hospitals, which means working weekends and getting called at night.
People have to wonder who's better off. The Primary doc who makes $150k a year working 60 hours a week and getting calls from the ER in the middle of the night. He/she has had to study their ass off to get into Medschool- college wasn't nearly as fun as it could have been. Then pay $60,000/yr for medschool. Or the Pharmacist who makes $150k/yr working 40-50 hours a week and never gets called when they're off. Or the nurse who makes $100k/year who only has to do 2 years of JC, then 4 yrs of nursing school and works 3.5 to 4 twelve hour shifts a week and starts making money at age 24?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
Time for some collective bargaining. Those numbers are terrible and much worse than what we see in the south.
It's not allowed. We'll get sued for anti-trust!!! That's how screwed we are.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0