04-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #29
ba22
Hello
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 (gone), E90 330i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalare
I usually don't like to chime in on this type of thing...but how does buying lots of wheels over ten years give you "experience" when it comes to their engineering? It doesn't, at all. I could by 3 houses a year, for ten years, but I woudln't know exactly how each was built and if they were designed properly just by looking at them...I'd have to take them apart. Have you taken all your ten years of wheels apart, taken coupons of the metal and had them stress tested? Done 3-d models of all your bought wheels and put them into an FEA modeller? I don't think so. I have lots a cups, I can't tell if one mug is stronger than the other...
Seriously, this is my last one. Please carefully READ my posts before trying to call me out again. Never did I say I had "experience" in engineering. Let's get that out of the way. I said, any "knowledge" that I have gained was from my personal buying experiences. In fact, very few of these included HRE's. And yes, you will naturally learn this stuff as you buy more wheels (unless you don't care and ignore it). Every time I have purchased wheels I have more knowledge from my previous buying experience to know what to look for and avoid in terms of performance, safety, quality, etc, this helps me make an educated buying decision so I don't regret it later when the bolts on my wheels are rusty, silicone is leaking, etc.

Anyways, I then when on to say that, no, I truly don't believe that DPE engineers a better wheel than HRE. First of all, this is my opinion, not a fact. Second of all, I make this judgement partially based on what I have personally witnessed from a tour during HRE's open house last year. This has nothing to do with their marketing, it's purely a tour from their engineer of what happens behind the scenes. One thing that convinced me to buy their wheels is that they go out of their way to prove to you the big differences between them and others. In my opinion, only a company that truly does offer more would want everyone to know this.

I'm still waiting for DPE (and others within reasonable driving distance) to host an open house and personal tour from their engineers. When they do, you can count on me certainly being there. I couldn't tell you if I would have a different opinion coming out, but I can tell you that I was impressed with what I've so far seen of HRE. I hope you know that there is much more to engineering a wheel than just minimizing mass wherever you can. You need to factor in structural integrity as well (in other words... safety!).

Quote:
Then you're compaining about rotational inertia but you have absolutely no idea what the weights of the DPE are...and I bet you don't know what the weights of the HRE are. Even if you did know the weights of both weels, you definately wouldn't know the allocation of the weight with respect to it's center of mass. Theoritically, the HRE could weight 1 pound less, but have a heavier hoop, thus negating the fact that it actually weights less. You have no idea. By the way...both wheels are aparently made in the same shop, thus I would assume they are forged with the same process...leaving only design and FEA testing as differences, which nobody here can know about unless they work for both companies.
Your points are all valid, there is no doubt about that, except that you keep claiming "I have no idea". Until we can compare weight, FEA results, etc... YOU actually have no idea. That is if DPE actually does FEA testing, which again, I doubt! I'm looking at their website, they have no reference to any kind of FEM/FEA testing, only R&D followed by CAD which is used to build their prototypes which are then tested in independent labs to exceed the standards set by DOT... DOT!

They are missing the one major step that BBS, HRE, etc takes... FEM/FEA testing. For those who don't know what that is, it's software that allows you to accurately analyze how every little point in a wheel design would react in a real life situation. DPE skips this step and tests the wheels to meet DOT standards once they have been CNC machined. My bicycle helmet is tested to meet DOT standards. You are basically proving my point and making DPE look bad at the same time.

Another thing DPE doesn't have is TUV verification. I've also learned if the company is TUV verified then you better believe they are using the highest engineering methods to build a correct and safe wheel. Important note... There is a difference between claiming that you engineer your wheels to TUV standards and actually being TUV verified.

In my opinion, it's not even fair to compare HRE to DPE. Many who are also knowledgeable on the subject will agree. Which forging supplier you use is an important step, but there is many other significant things that need to be factored in before even comparing the two.

Quote:
Last point, your very first post was about how it's a copy of HRE. Never thought that HRE was not the first wheel maker in the world and I can guarantee you that the P40 and P41 are most certainly not 100% original and that wheel designs like the P40 and P41 existed way before their monoblock lines where released. Therefore...that really makes HRE the copier doesn't it?
Please read my posts as you misread them again. I said, quote "They are an attempt to be like HRE's Monoblok's" and then a few posts later "But let's get it clear that I didn't say anything about anybody inventing anything. What I find interesting is that you have a dozen small brands jumping in to make a quick buck off the success of the HRE Monoblok wheels. I haven't seen so much buzz and demand for the monoblock styles since HRE introduced their line up. Also, I wouldn't compare the Neez mesh wheel with the HRE P40 wheel as they don't share similar characteristics like the new DPE wheel (that the OP posted) and the P40 clearly do!" To my knowledge (and in my opinion!), this is true.

Thanks, you as well have a nice day.
Appreciate 0