View Single Post
      04-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #28
kalare
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba22 View Post
Thanks detective. This validates my above point about you. Refer back to post #19 where I when onto to briefly explain that any knowledge that I've gained was from my many years of buying aftermarket wheels. No, I haven't seen that link you posted, but the term is widely used and known (even for consumers, believe it or not!), not to mention it's basic physics.
I usually don't like to chime in on this type of thing...but how does buying lots of wheels over ten years give you "experience" when it comes to their engineering? It doesn't, at all. I could by 3 houses a year, for ten years, but I woudln't know exactly how each was built and if they were designed properly just by looking at them...I'd have to take them apart. Have you taken all your ten years of wheels apart, taken coupons of the metal and had them stress tested? Done 3-d models of all your bought wheels and put them into an FEA modeller? I don't think so. I have lots a cups, I can't tell if one mug is stronger than the other...

Then you're compaining about rotational inertia but you have absolutely no idea what the weights of the DPE are...and I bet you don't know what the weights of the HRE are. Even if you did know the weights of both weels, you definately wouldn't know the allocation of the weight with respect to it's center of mass. Theoritically, the HRE could weight 1 pound less, but have a heavier hoop, thus negating the fact that it actually weights less. You have no idea. By the way...both wheels are aparently made in the same shop, thus I would assume they are forged with the same process...leaving only design and FEA testing as differences, which nobody here can know about unless they work for both companies.

Last point, your very first post was about how it's a copy of HRE. Never thought that HRE was not the first wheel maker in the world and I can guarantee you that the P40 and P41 are most certainly not 100% original and that wheel designs like the P40 and P41 existed way before their monoblock lines where released. Therefore...that really makes HRE the copier doesn't it? Oh yeah, and see quote above I paste here for reiteration:

HRE and DPE source our 1pc blanks from the same supplier. And we both use our own CNC machines to mill in our own designs. Our ST7 wheel is a 3pc variation of our GT7 and our ST7 mono is just a continuation of that. We've had this design for many years now, even before HRE came out with their 1pc.

Sorry for the long post...had to get that one out. By the way...I acutally like HRE wheels better, but that doesn't mean they are...
Appreciate 0