01-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #701
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by whats77inaname View Post
I keep reading these post claiming FI on a NA car is just a mess up waiting to happen, that no one should be surprised this has happened, yadda, yadda, yadda.....so for all you guys/gals saying this.....I have one question: How many ESS-s/c'ed S65s have gone boom?
I am not going to stoop down to how many varied tuner's SC applications have failed ..the point of the post expressed by VVG is vaild on its face either you accept it or you dont and if you dont then feel free to express how any of his points dont have a basis in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
So here are my points:

1. When you add forced induction to an otherwise stock NA street motor, you are playing with fire. No if, ands, or buts. Your risk of engine failure will go up. If there are inherent weaknesses in the motor to begin with, adding FI will make it much more likely that those weaknesses become exposed.

2. Your margin for error while driving becomes much less. While a mis-shift, an over rev, etc, etc, may be tolerated by a stock motor, it may not be by the boosted motor.

3. Over the years I have seen blown motor after blown motor on all sorts of cars with all sorts of kits. Sure it can happen on a stock motor too, but the risk is just that much higher when boost is applied to a previously NA stock street motor.

4. If you want to go forced induction, buy a forced induction car from the factory. I guarantee you that the tolerances for the internals are such to allow a huge increase in tuned power without much worry. A stock B5 Audi S4 which came from the factory with a 250hp twin turbo V6 could be easily tuned for over 450hp and almost 500lb-ft of torque on the stock block with bullet proof reliability.

5. If you want to put FI onto a NA street car, you need to build the motor...crank, pistons, rods, rings, and run a CR of certainly less than 10.5.

Do it right or don't do it at all. While I feel for the OP, let's be real. Is anyone really surprised that this happened? I hope not.

Last edited by tibra1; 01-29-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0