Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Indeed .
I'm not the person who screams that a fly is an elephant ...
But what I saw on BP in a few years actually don't need words to realize what worldwide is wrong with the S65 and S85 bearings.
--------------------------------------------------------
Don't know if you saw this post ? => # 1393 http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...786615&page=64

Look...Actually I don't like to type bad things about our cars , because my/your car is involved as well .
Others are saying it's bad for the value of our cars , and they are 100% right but in the mean while they stick their heads in the sand ...
------------------------------------------------------------
I go straight for the reality , and I know that hurts the reputation of our S65 engines .
Need to say mine runs really perfect and hope to keep it this way .
Well said... I did read that post... I can remember looking at the rod bearings on my e46 m3 when it had the recall done ten years ago... It had 67k miles on it and when I got to see the old bearings they looked 100% normal with no visible signs of anything unusual... They looked really good! There were no streaks, no layers missing, no pitting, and no cavitations... They looked like what a bearing should look like...

Once again, there were only a small number of cars affected in the e46 M3 bearing saga similar to today's drama, but with one notable difference...

The difference between the E46 and E9x M3 in regards to bearing quality is that we did not see a 99% prematurely worn bearing quality of removed bearings in the e46 M3 as we are seeing now... In fact, I can remember seeing so many perfectly fine bearings removed from e46 m3's for the bearing recall that it really seemed like the problem was isolated to a very small percentage of cars..

Why do all of the bearings taken out of e9x M3s for preventive maintenance look so bad? Why are they so cavitated in certain spots primarily on the upper shells?

The e46 M3 was just as volatile and high strung as the e9x, so why did the vast majority of those bearings look normal?

Is this just the quality one should expect from a high revving v8 motor? I can't imagine that the answer is yes...
Appreciate 1