04-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
So, your trying to measure every lb in a luxury sport racer? Pull the AC, pull the rear seat, pull the dash (replace with an aluminum shell to hold the tach and spedo). But, is that really the car you paid $70K for? If you do that, why have a muffler? Pull the cats too, carpet. Strip the trunk and headliner...
Where did I mention any of that in my OP? I omitted those intentionally. I have no intention of tearing up the car like that. I am talking within reason considering this is a luxury car, which is obvious in what I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1234 View Post
If you're willing to pull the nice comfy seats and replace them with lightweight ones where are you drawing the line between removing comfort and reducing weight? The things you are doing might add up to 100 lbs. Will that really make a handling difference and wouldn't it be cheaper from an acceleration and cost/benefit perspective to add horsepower?
Read my previous post. I would swap the seats only if I thought the swap can be done in reasonable time so that I can put the stock seats back on for whatever reason. Apart from that, if you think about the items I posted, you can see where I'm drawing the line.

Regardless, it would interesting to know how much the rear seats weigh for instance--not that I would remove them.

I would rather spend the money to lose 150lbs than gain 40hp on this car, but that ultimately depends on the cost of each. Have you driven it?