View Single Post
      07-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #45
dmw16
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 ///M3

Wow, I certainly didn't mean for my post to set off this kind of back and forth. I was going to just step back, but I guess I feel compelled to post.

Am I a bad driver? No, I am not. I have logged a lot of safe miles in various different cars and up until this past Thursday never had any issue.

Am I a great driver? Not a chance. I have lots to learn and can certainly admit that.

Did I make a serious error that I am fortunate that all the result was is a little bit of damage to my car? You bet your a$$! I am first and foremost grateful that my lapse in good judgement didn't result in injury to anyone. I'd like to think that had a car been coming the other way I'd have never done what I did, but I won't try to rationalize it away. I made a mistake. I admit that.

But, to the people going on and on about how the M3 is too much for people if they can't control it without DSC you really need to come off it a bit. I feel pretty confident in assuming you've made mistakes behind the wheel. No one on here (at least that I know of) is a great (ie ALMS, Formula 1, etc level) driver. We all have things to learn.

I will certainly learn from my mistake. I've played it over in my head numerous times. I generally have good car control, but in this case I screwed up. Plain and simple. It was the wrong place, the wrong time, and on top of all that I failed in controlling the car.

Going forward I will take it to the track. I've already begun seeking out a few HPDE's between now and the end of the fall to improve my capabilities and to take these kinds of learning experiences into a controlled environment.

That's all I've got gents.
Appreciate 0