12-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarkgolfer View Post
I have a Garmin 1450 LMT from 2011 and the LMT stands for Lifetime Maps and Traffic update. Although my wife and I have Nav in both our respective cars, we like having the Garmin around when we travel.

Unfortunately, the Garmin interface with either Windows or Mac computers is pretty lame. I have had problems connecting before but after some twiddling and re-booting, I can usually make things work.

Two weeks ago, the Garmin App advised that I should install an update. No real trouble connecting and the update was advertised to be two hours.

Four hours later, the 'needle' on the dial showed there had been some activity but still not finished. Another four hours go by and still stuck. I called Garmin and they told me I had a problem (really), and I was advised to disconnect and retry the installation. As I tried to disconnect, I got a warning message and was told to ignore it.

Long story short, the Garmin unit will now only get me to a Garmin splash screen and nowhere else. After multiple conversations with CSR and their supervisors, my options are:

1. Send the the unit and a check for $110 to have an out of warranty repair (this unit only cost $135 when I bought it)
2. Receive a 50% credit, maximum $100, towards a new unit on their online store. (Most of their online stuff I can buy at more than $100 cheaper from online retailers.)

Suffice it to say, Garmin is not getting a penny more of my money and I am posting this on the various online BB's I frequent. I'll just use Google Maps on my iPhone (traveling to Salt Lake City this week for my son's wedding) and everywhere else in the future.
I have two 1450LMTs and I did the updates last week. One of them needed an SD card inserted to take on the new maps which still meant only the NE maps due to size. The other one took the NE map with no SD card it is about one year newer.

So it worked for me.

I was about to snag a new 25xx series LMT for $99, but with the updates both 1450s are much faster and work better than ever.

But it sounds like you have almost no viable options.

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt (full suspension, LSD, clipped turbo etc)
Appreciate 0