12-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
davesaddiction
is fast cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynecasey View Post
I'm the CFO of a non-Profit clinic not Apple/Google.

I've gotten more frugal over the years. The more budgets I do the more I don't want a new car period.

My affordable range on 2010+ is capped at $30,000 unless I drop a bid down payment.

For used its $15,000 or $20,000 Witt $5,000 down. That's $327 a month for four years.

Can't wait till my daughter is out if day care. $400 saved.

College debt doesn't help $315 a month. Two car payments $365 and $400.

Want my daughter in in school and my Altima paid off before I buy.

And like any accountant I've got my retirement mapped out already. But buying a car slows it down

So right now I just want to learn more about M3's. and what better place than a BMW forum.
Best of luck on your decision and search.

I'm 34, married, with two kiddos and one on the way. My wife actually told me the evening after I came home with my car that we were expecting. She knew, but much love to her, she waited to tell me because she knew that I probably would have balked on the car had I known.

The car is sweet and I have no regrets about getting it, but to be honest, the potential costs of repair and maintenance are a cause for concern (my last car was a Mazda 3 hatch). I'm almost out of warranty, and will probably be getting some kind of extended for peace of mind and insurance against any massive bills in the next few years.

If you don't have a healthy cash cushion, I'd recommend delaying gratification until you're a little more settled. That said, if I'd done that, I might have not gotten my ///M until the kids were out of college!

Life is for living, just don't make a decision that has the potential to mess your family up financially. It seems to me that you're being very smart and frugal to this point. If the M3's not to be right now, the ST or an FR-S/BRZ are pretty good alternatives.

Good luck on the other forums; come back to this thread and let us know what you decided!
Appreciate 0