Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by paynecasey View Post

I registered here to find out about...

-What to look for when checking out M3's.
-What kind if maintenance is involved and cost.
-If there is a mechanics book on the M3 to do repairs my self.
Reasonable price for a 2001 M3 based on mileage wear and tear.
I am now in my 4th M3 the first one was a 2002 second year rental return to a Vancouver BC dealership. In 2004 that car had 32,000 KM on the odometer when I purchased it. Sold that car privately in 2010 to get into my a used 2011 M3 (now driving my 4th purchased new all loaded M3).

I am still in contact with the new owner of my then 2002 e46, the major repair I had was replaced one rear spring. The new owner last year in May replaced the other rear spring. The car now has over 100,000 KM on the odometer.

Your questions in order ...

1) Purchase from a BMW Dealership certified by them if possible (we have such a program in Canada). If you cannot get it certified make sure you get to see and study all the past reports. Look for major repairs this might hint if the car has seen much track time. Should you purchase from a private source then insist on a full inspection before purchase. The BMW inspection will tell you what you may expect on repairs in turn you can use this information to establish a fair selling price.

2) This is a high end car and as such each time you have something done it will cost a few hundred dollars If you are handy you can handle most things yourself. On the other hand it is a very well build car 50 % of the parts are better then a standard 3 series and 80% of the car is modified that makes it an ///M car and superior to the 3 series. I would not purchase an extended warranty or maintenance plan. Just study the past inspection reports and it will guide you.

3) I don"t know if there is a maintenance book or not. I guess you need to Google this and check it out. I have one for our first BMW a 1987 e28 535is and still use the manual whenever I work on it for my daughter that is still driving this car.

4) as for cost I sold my 2002 for $25,000- I paid for the BMW inspection and replacement of the rear spring. You should find one in good shape for around $20,000- US.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your hunt for that first ///M3

BTW. This is the best ///M forum around

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0