View Single Post
      11-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #820
USCTrojanMan29
Captain
Rep
Drives: Purple People Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Went to Laguna Seca with PCA-GGR. Nice people. Nice event. INCREDIBLE weather! Sound limit was 90 db.....I kept getting black flagged for sound--they said my supercharged M3, with full stock exhaust except track pipes was 94 db.....so I had to do my best to stay within the sound limits. I put my old stock x-pipe-with-track-pipe on just for Laguna......I'm frustrated because during my trip to Laguna in July, I requested a sound check. On that trip, I had an Akra X-pipe with a stock exhaust, and I only tested at 92.9db......so the track is telling me that at wide open throttle, the stock x-pipe with track pipe is louder than the Akra x-pipe........whatever.....

E90 M3
Track/course: Laguna Seca
Best Lap Time: 1:39.04
Brakes: AP Racing - Cobalt Friction XR2 front/XR3 rear
Tires: Hoosier R6 - 295/30/18 square on Volk G2 10"
Suspension: JRZ RS Pro
Other mods: VF620, Track pipes with stock exhaust, (no aero parts, full interior)

This was my first time on Hoosiers R6. Nice tires! They hook up the blower's power very nicely. I still need more time to get used to them. Anyway, I was stuck in traffic most of the time. But they had a time trial, so I got two open track laps. With minimal work 1:38 will be easy with R6. The data shows I was on an easy mid-1:38 pace on the second time trial lap through the Corkscrew, and then gave it all away in Turn 9. My line through Turn 9 has been all wrong. My goal is 1:37 now at that track with R6. (Ran 1:39.2 on Hankook TD)

Anyway, I took second place in the time trial. First place went to forum member Ti-Jean, who had his GT3 out there! He ran 1:38.6 I believe, and this was his first visit to the track. With the sound limit, no truly fast track-dedicated Porsches could even show up. And the 997-GT3's simply blew sound constantly. Geez, the event organizer's 997-GT3 was constantly blowing the sound limit and he had angled pipes. He was tippy-toeing up that hill to make the limit.....Is it true that most track days will be 90 db next year? What a shame for such an amazing place......
That's a great time man. You'll only get faster as you get used to the R6s. PCA GGR definitely puts on a great event and is the best CA/NV PCA group in my opinion. I was fortunate enough to do a few days with them at Buttonwillow and Thunderhill. I meet a great group of guys from Nor Cal.

As for Laguna Seca, what a bunch of BS with that 90db limit and yes most of the 2014 track days will have the low 90db limit (and they'll keep lowering it too in the future is my guess). A stock 997 GT3 will do about a 93-95db so most guys have to plug the exhaust by-pass value so the side mufflers don't close above 4,000rpm (this is how the side mufflers get fried and crack) so they can pass the 93db limit days. At 90db there is no 997 GT3 that will pass sound even with angled pipes. Why don't they just go ahead and outlaw all gas powered cars and only allow electric cars and get it over with? Hell, the only car I'll ever be able to take up there for their 90db track day is my electric Prius.
Appreciate 0