View Single Post
      11-17-2009, 02:33 PM   #42
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogS View Post
You seem fixated on straight line figures, but that's OK.
I'm assuming you have seen the video where modded M3 DCT gets raped by stock 997.2 C2S PDK
That is not even close, even though the M3 get a lead when they start.
997.2 C2S runs 1/4 @ 11.7s
Same on the track - not even close.

Find one to race you, but not some 60 year old guy that cannot drive and has the car as a status symbol. Find someone that can actually drive a 911. I bet they'll rape you.

I don't care what feels faster, I care what IS faster. Like I said, S2000 feels faster then M3 (probably because that vtec engine revving to stratosphere gives the impression of going super fast).

I think your opinion may come from very limited experience with a 911, or judging your post in which you compare dct to pdk maybe the car you got was a dud?
You're possibly the only person (besides fanbois but who takes them seriously) not rating pdk above the dct

M3 is not in the same league performance wise, and it shouldn't be. It's a sporty sedan/coupe and it feels like one. IMO they shouldn't be compared.
Before I sold the CS and could compare the two, every time I jumped back into M3 it felt like a Buick. Seriously, it felt closer to the E350 then to the Cayman

I like M3 but I'm not a fanboi. I recognize the car for what it is. It is NOT a sports car, no matter how many want to believe it. It's a capable car, with a back seat and some amenities that are nice for a dd. That's all.
In road feel, brake feel and 'fun to drive' factor 997 is in a different class and M3 is simply boring in comparison, sorry to say.
I have nothing to prove, I don't own a 911 but I own M3. Don't have any stocks in Porsche either

BTW, I think 997 is well worth the premium over the M3, but that is always subjective. I bet some Z06 owners don't see any value in the M3 either (those two shouldn't be compared IMO, but we know sometimes they are)
When I drive my buddies Miata and then get in my M3, it also feels like a Buick; so the Miata must be better.

Give me a break. Porsches are nice performers but they don't rape an M3; especially not an 911. The 911S slightly outperforms the M3 in real-world driving situation but it should for the extra $30-$50k ($58k-$70k vs $85k-$100k+).

To me, the M3 is a better executed package that combines breath-taking performance, beauty and enough comfort for a DD; yet capable enough for the occasional track day.

Unless you are driving a GT2 or GT3, nobody looks twice at 911 or 911S; at least not in Northern VA and DC.

While I agree with some of your points, you seem to be giving Porsche too much credit.

I park my e92 M3 next to a 911 S every night so I constantly compare the look, stance and aggressiveness of both cars. Both the 911S owner and I agree, the M3 looks better.

I have driven 911s several times and sit in one every time the owner is washing it (we normally have the same wash/detail cycle), the M3 is MUCH nicer inside than the 911 S.

-SZ
Appreciate 0