11-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #1097
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Also back a hundred posts or so when Yellow Snow queried why we aren't seeing any recorded engine failures in the UK...fuel was the only thing that occurred to me. But there is something else, UK owners as a rule don't tend to modify their engines in new or newish expensive cars like the M3. The demographic for the typical new UK M3 owner is for a much older professional compared to that say of California.
So here is an thought...could it be that the reason that Ca sees more than its fair share of failures is due to the fact that an M3 is far more likely to be (engine) modded in California than anywhere else in the world? Which when combined with 91 Aki only further increases the potential for damage.
It would also help account for why most undamaged engines that are opened find increased bearing wear....as who else is most likely to open up an engine (in preparation to say fit a supercharger) than someone who is into engine modifications and may well have run some sort of tune.
Bit of a stretch but it might be a factor.
Excellent post, the bold part is very similar to a post I just made in another bearing thread here.

Also great summaries in your posts following this one analyzing and summarizing the cases surrounding the reported S85 and S65 data sets. IIRC regular_guy claimed that no failures here were SC and many/most had no outward signs of problems. There appears to be a fairly large contradiction here??? This same line of reasoning led to my post here long ago in this thread asking why the heck are all of these bottom ends with "NO apparent problems" are being torn down for "inspection". I also made the incorrect claim that if you tear down an engine with outward signs of problem and then find problems, that should not be much of a surprise. regular_guy corrected this mistake of mine which I acknowledged. I think someone else here hinted/stated that one or more companies installing SCs REQUIRE bearing inspection/replacement.

regular_guy and SFP please resolve this somewhat glaring contradiction. According to SFP's review HALF or less than half of the cars are truly "no issues" engines inspected and found to have some significant bearing wear. Depends on if you do or don't want to count the damaged cranks and/or siezed/"grenade" cases.

For the S65:

~10 cars for the entire US/Canada production (no separate US figures) is 0.04%

~10 cars for the entire world production is a whopping 0.017%
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0