View Single Post
      02-02-2011, 11:21 AM   #20
2swift
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5280RCR View Post
How about skipping second for the first shift of the day, and sliding into 3rd? I find I don't get the grind this way (assuming you get between 3-5k RPM).
I avoid going over 3.5k when the engine is cold but maybe I can try that out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3 Tim View Post
That sounds right to me.

If there is grinding and/or an unwillingness for a car to go into a different gear, it is most likely an issue with the synchros.

If it goes away quickly, and while warmed up, great. But expect it to get worse as time goes on. You will probably start to see issues when you place a "high demand" on them, such as high rpm full throttle shifts, etc. You may get some grinding there and/or an unwillingness for the shifter to go to the gear you want smoothly....it will seemed "locked out" for a second or two. Been there, done that....but with a 15K GT3 tranny. lol

Being as it only does it "once" in the morning, it ain't exactly something the dealer will be able to replicate/want to repair.

I would monitor the situation and take it in once it becomes more prevalent.
Thanks...it definitely happens only once a day in the mornings. Same thing happened today but instead of forcing it into second and causing the grinding noise, it was just stuck for 1-2 seconds before I was able to put it into 2nd.

No one has this same problem in the mornings? What rpm is everyone shifting at for the very first shift of the day?
2014 Porsche 991 C2S - SOLD!
2011.5 E92 M3 6MT - SOLD!
Appreciate 0