View Single Post
      09-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #36
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

AV and TV are both great ways to help you learn how the camera works without putting you in the deep end. P is also a good mode to shoot in. It is sort of a preset auto mode that you have some minor control over, but if you watch the aperture settings and the shutter speed settings, you'll get to know what affects will occur at different settings.

I think AV might be most helpful for you with shooting jewlery as you'll be messing with the depth of field a lot to get parts of the ring, or all of the ring in focus, but you're going to need a tripod, or at least something very steady to lean the camera against.

But overall, the top things i would recommend for you are:

Never ever shoot in automatic mode again as best as you can.

Put the camera in RAW (that's under the quality settings) or RAW and Jpeg

take the camera out of automatic focus and only choose what focus point you want

Take the ISO setting off of Automatic and put it where it needs to be, the camera makes up some interesting numbers sometimes.

do lots of reading on how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed work together

don't be afraid to ask questions or post pictures to get feedback, ignor rediculous comments and concentrate on constructive ones. It doesn't matter if a picture is good or bad, but what matters is how you can improve it.

Turn on blinking highlights on your picture review in the camera settings, it's quite handy

learn how to read a histogram (it kind of goes with the blinking highlights for usefull information)

If in doubt, take multiple shots of the same thing with different settings. choose witch you like most later, and learn from what settings you used for those photos.

If anyone can add to that, please do, that's just what i could do off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking for any i missed.
Appreciate 0