02-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #21
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
an alarm is a deterent. sure, it is not going to prevent your car from getting stolen, but if someone is looking to steal a car, wouldn't they prefer to steal one without an alarm? also, if they are stealing it in a highly populated area, an alarm is going to draw attention, which a criminal doesn't want or need. yes, a true professional could probably defeat a BMW pretty easily. but not all car thieves are true professionals.

my main motivator in getting an alarm is to have audible confirmation that the car is locked or unlocked. there is something about having that chirp that gives reassurance.

i think your conclusions are wrong

Well there is an option in iDrive to enable audible confirmation (in addition to the turn indicator flashes) when the car is locked and the imobiliser is engaged . Secondly, when the imobiliser is engaged, there is a small red light flashing (hanging below the central mirror) so people know something is there! So even without an alarm, the engagement of the immobiliser sounds and flshes as if the car is alarmed.

Therefore I don't see why you need an alarm for the M3 and why my conclusions are wrong...
Appreciate 0