03-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #11
PrometheusM3
Aquarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: LSB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
I agree with your opinion. They boxes are large, but it's good insurance against being caught speeding without realizing. And the only one that really bothers me is the one on the rear plate. It's too obvious, but I'm looking for a plate frame that has more substance I can modify so it looks more built into it rather than just sitting there on top.
This is a good point. I agree with what Matt (THE TECH) said, as the units are a bit of an eyesore.

My single LI unit on my E46 is just fixed on my front lower grill. It's ridiculously conspicuous, especially since I don't have a front plate, but if you don't know what you're looking for, it honestly looks like a front plate bracket. Sort of.

I'm actually shocked that I haven't been hassled about it by any LEO in the 7 years I've been driving the car. I've gotten no front plate tickets, 100+ MPH tickets (paced), illegal lane change tickets, you name it - no mention of the laser shifter sitting smack on my front bumper. You'd think every cop would know what it is and get me in trouble about it. Never happened. (Knock on wood.)

The funny thing is I actually bought the car CPO'd from a BMW dealer, with the LI units and radar detectors hardwired on the car. The install is so clean that even the BMW CPO inspection didn't catch it, LOL. It also creates a great excuse/lawsuit if I ever get a ticket for it.

I definitely look forward to a cleaner install on my E92 thanks to your DIY.