View Single Post
      09-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #19
motorking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 CTS-V

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeD1 View Post
I'm having some overheating problems at the track since I reprogrammed the ECU and was considering draining the radiator and replacing it with just water, water wetter, and the minimum amount of coolant necessary to keep it from freezing. I live in Houston TX and the coldest we EVER see is about 20F.

I have a few questions:
1. Has anyone here done this and if so did it make a difference on car temperatures?

2. Do I need to use BMW anti-freeze or will any brand work.

3. Any guesses on how much coolant to use, I know as little as possible but I don't want my engine to freeze on the 4-5 sub freezing days a year we get here in the south.

Thanks
Good morning,
I am the technical manager at Prestone coolants. Using str8 water is really bad for your cooling system! Antifreeze/Coolant has more purpose than just freeze protection. The additives in AF prevent corrosion in the cooling sustem. Water is very conductive and running str8 water in your system can turn it into a giant battery and cause what is called electrolysis. Your cooling system will corrode from the inside out. You also need lubrication for your water pump seals. You can use Prestone extended life coolant in your BMW. Use a minimum of 35% coolant concentrate and distilled or deionized water along with the water wetter. Carefully clean the radiator external fins using cleaners marketed for cleaning a/c condensors. Removing dirt build up on the radiator fins can reduce cooling system temps considerably.
Jay Buckley
Prestone Coolants
jay.buckley@framgrp.com
Appreciate 1