View Single Post
      01-23-2010, 12:33 AM   #116
MHP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MHP S2 C63, MHP S1 997 911 GT3

Crap, I missed the part about 1/4 mile times being relevant altogether the first quick read through.

We proudly advertise the fact that we hold the Q/F N/A 63 AMG 1/8th, 1/4 mile, standing mile (VBox), 60-130 (VBox verified as seen on 6speedonline's list), and make the most HP/TQ on dynos with no air.

Each of the above represents a measuring stick based on data. Sure you can pick apart any single test, but held together they can tell you everything.

That being said I wish standing mile races had times and not just traps, because I would regard that to being the ultimate test of straightline speed. The Cartec/Maha in windtunnel would come in a close second (OEMs use this type of dyno and fan setup for emissions testing, fuel economy certification, etc)
Otherwise the next best guage/test for me (as far as judging HP/TQ gains) is the 1/4 mile. Having an automatic trans that makes consistent (albeit slower and I'd much rather have an SMG in the car) shifts on DRs with dedicated racers helps to eliminate quite a few variables.

60-130 is what most consider a "rolling dyno". Gearing is less of a factor (but still plays a solid role in how many shifts it takes to cover the spread) since there is no "launch", traction is "less" of an issue (for most cars, definitely a problem for the faster ones). The Porsche guys love it and honestly I think it's another good way to measure a cars straightline performance.

Again though from personal experience, nothing sells more software/hardware than 1/4 mile results, which gives you 60', 330, 1/8th and 1/4 mile data, speaking in global terms anyway.
Dynos are ridiculously easy to manipulate (as your excellent sticky points out, that should be reposted on every forum on the net btw), the timing equipment is NHRA/IHRA certified, and you have both a timeslip and video as proof--also run a VBox for back up/GPS data.

JMHO

Thanks

Last edited by MHP; 01-23-2010 at 01:16 AM..
Appreciate 0