03-26-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
No where close to the quality? You make it sound like these OEM BBKs are horrible vs the comparable kits on the aftermarket. Did you read an actual comparison somewhere that said they were so vastly inferior? So an inferior brake actually works better year round? Maybe I'm too much of a n00b to understand..

I've had a set of aftermarket Stoptech ST-40 BBKs with axxis ultimate pads on my 350Z for like 6 years now and I did occasionally drive my Z in the winter .. I didn't notice a thing different.. Still confused as to what would cause these Brembos to not work in the winter.. like I asked.. is it the cold or the icing? is it the pad? I guess I'll just have to wait until winter and report back..

--mike
Yes.

Could we also confusing our terms? The 350Z never came from the factory with StopTech brakes. It came with a Brembo kit. This is what I refer to as an OEM BBK. If you had a StopTech system on your car that you put on that is simply a true aftermarket BBK.

Anyway when an OEM puts a brake from a company making BBKs on their car as stock you will not get the same brake system you do in when you buy a BBK from the same company. It has been demonstrated by testing and is pretty simple common sense as well. OEMs are so price sensitive. They simply can not put a $6k brake system (even it they could buy it in volume for $2k) on a $30k car. So the brake system might cost the OEM $500, maybe $1k at most. Does it make sense that you can get the design, materials, part quality, pad quality, etc. as a $6000 (retail) system?

Now that is just a simple common sense argument based on economics. Here is the actual data to back up the claim. This is thread from a discussion long ago about how "crappy" single piston OEM brakes can significantly out perform the OEM "BBK" in terms of fade. The case was made with the 350Z. Link.
Appreciate 0