12-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #163
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
Who told you that?
AWD/4WD would get better grip, braking and stopping times especially with the new technology in luxury vehicles these days!

I mean if that was the case, why would they make 4-Matic versions in Mercedes S,E,C classes and why did they launch the X-Drive in the 7 series this year.

Clearly, there was a demand for these kind of systems!
Absolutely false on the braking - AWD/4WD has nothing to do with stopping capabilities. On snow and ice, the deciding factor will always be your interface with the surface - your tires. Once you consider that, it's actually less advantageous to have a heavier, imbalanced vehicle (such as an SUV) when it comes to emergency maneuvers and stopping. When I drive the mountain passes here in the Cascades (which is the snowiest place in the world, mind you - Mount Baker and the North Cascades can receive over 100 feet of snow per year), the vast majority of accidents and stranded vehicles I see are SUVs. Why? Because drivers of said vehicles believe that they can defy physics:

"I can start better so therefore I must be able to stop better."

Please.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0