S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
So people here have been making quite the fuss about the S4...I'd driven the A4 before, deemed it to be a substandard car -- decided to give the S4 a go.

Summary: Its all about perspective -- today, I compared the 335 XDrive (AWD) (my car) to the Audi S4 (AWD);

The car is completely rubbish for the money they charge; were it 15 K cheaper...maybe it would be good ( just being provocative). Has no sense of luxury, feels cheap outside and inside. Above all, it does not feel like a luxury car; it feels like a track/rally car; the inside is all wrong. The amazing engine does not do enough to offset the insulated, passionless ride.

Plus side: The engine is SUPERIOR to the N54...it has no turbo lag (supercharged)...but thats about it; oh, and those beautiful LED lights that Benz has too, those draw mad attention.

Ride: Little road feel, the suspension was OK...but not enough communication with the road; def felt insulated.

Interior: Rubbish...this is the KEY here...the interior was rubbish. It felt like a souped up rally car. The leather was dull, the interior was dreary, depressing in hues of black, and grey...I felt like I was in a cemetary as compared to my cream beige BMW. The plastic felt cheap -- the worst part: the thin, cheap feeling steering wheel, reminded me of a Honda/Acura. The interior DID NOT feel like a luxury car. It reminded me of infiniti. Overall, its at the same quality level as infiniti/Acura.

BTW, the doors don't close with that same...strong thud that BMW doors close with; they feel lighter, weaker, more like...an Acura. Just feels cheaper.

Engine: AMAZING...this engine is SUPERIOR to the N54. It has no lag...I wish I had this engine in my 335. It is faster and has more power. I bet it doesn't have an HPFP issue either. The exhaust note is of course better than BMW, nice grunt.

Overall: this car has NO passion compared to a 335i...335i brings a smile and joy to one's driving experience...because you FEEL the road, you FEEL the curves, you FEEL the engine and power delivery.

Audi is the opposite here...you feel little, not as bad as Lexus -- but Lex doesn't pretend to compete with the Boss of Motor Werks.

Conclusion: Nice little fad for those who "want something new"...who always need the new thing. Its LED lights make it look hot, but benz has that now too. Overall car is rubbish in comparison to the 335i, has a better engine, but maybe 30-40% of the driving experience. That is the key here.

All those people saying BMW is dated...you've just jumped on a fad, the next great thing -- Good luck to you and bless the MBA's who did a good sales job!

I'll keep my 6MT 335xi. Its interior is luxurious, beautiful light tones on the leather, make it feel like a luxury car, which it is. And it does not feel cheap. ON a sidenote, I feel I was fair...I completely admit that the S4's engine is superior...I am not bashing AUdi. In every other respect, it is sub par relative to the BMW. The engine is only THAT MUCH better than the N54, marginal -- it does not make up for the ride.

And so the natural order has been restored.
What you say is rubbish

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0