08-28-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
That's not real suede though, right? Suede is leather. Alcantara is basically cloth (microfiber, to be precise), or 'synthetic suede'. You must be using another brand of the fake stuff, which probably looks just like 'Alcantara' indeed.
Ultrasuede is "fake" alcantara. Well, it's nearly the same thing. Both are made by the same company but alcantara is treated with different chemicals -- it stands up better to ultraviolet, so they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I can't comprehend how auto manufacturers can get away with substituting leather with Alcantara without dropping the price, which is exactly what Porsche and others are doing. Alcantara is absolute crap on wear areas, which is where you find it most of the time. It's perfect for a headliner, however. Hey, don't forget about the sun visors . Good luck.
Alcantara is more expensive than (some) leather. This might have to do with the fact that it comes from Europe (Italy I think), IDK. But if you take care of it it does hold up. You need to gently clean and brush it. Having said that, I agree, on the headliner wear doesn't matter much. It's an ideal material for the headliner. I think this will look awesome. Have you seen it in an E39 M5?

OP, don't forget the pictures, even if it is "just" Ultrasuede.

Cheers.