05-09-2011, 05:50 AM   #23
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangoma View Post
I have a 2008 M3 - Fully Loaded
I got into a rather minor, yet structurally major accident a couple weeks back.
Long story short some idiot cut me off causing me to go off the road hitting the curb (4 inches high) at around 40 MPH. Needless to say the car has significant front end, suspension, axle, airbag, etc etc etc.
Got a call Friday that the car has, above what I have already mentioned a frame that is "off center" which will need to be put into place. No "damage" from what he continues to tell me (the insurance adjuster) but fixable nonetheless.
Oh and because of the frame "issues" the roof buckled, but that's also "fixable". Solution replace the roof. Yes, they are going to cut the rood off my car and REPLACE it!
Cost for repair: $31,770

I have various concerns:
1) Airbag deployments are documented on Carfax correct?
2) Any frame issues, regardless of it being bent or not are documented correct?
3) Should I push to get the vehicle inspected by BMW before signing off on repairs and taking possession of the car again? Since the car is still under all the warranties, I don't want to have an issue later and be told "well this car was in an accident so we're not going to cover it" type response.

Then a follow-up question, should I just sell it and call it a day, or keep it?
I have an idea. It may work, it may not, but you have nothing to lose. It seems like your damage cost isn't too far off from the value of the totalled car.

First, I would very politely plead your case with the insurance co. Make it a good sob story. If that doesn't work, then tell them, again very politely, that you don't feel they are doing the right thing here and that you will change to a different company after this claim is settled. Show them the math of how your annual premium payment after the accident surcharge will add up to the cost difference in several years. If you insure more than one car with them or other things like your home, life, etc. you will have even more pull using this method.

This actually worked for me a number of years back. I had an accident and the company wanted to fix it cheaply. Since we paid over $7000 in annual premiums to this company for all our insurances, combined, I simply told them that if they didn't fix it properly, at an added cost of of $1400 to them, I would cancel ALL my policies with them. Within 48 hours, they "re-evaluated" the claim.