View Single Post
      11-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I have posted about this recently. A filter (I got BMS but MS or any other high flow oiled filter will do) will give you a nice increase in intake roar over stock.

However the OEM filter size is so monstrous and big, and the intake box sucks in so much air, and there is an opening in the hood directly from the intake, that you get as much intake sound as you are going to get.

For an experiment I took the top off my intake box and left it as a "open" intake setup to see if it was signifigantly louder and even with the top of the airbox off (just filter on) it was no different than the stock setup with the lid on like normal. I think the intake path out the hood allows for all the sound to be heard as that is a direct path to the filter. The other intake kits are not worth it and IMO likely lose some performance.

The "elbow" in the aftermarket parts is generally larger than OEM and the larger the diameter, the slower velocity of air flow. Bmw designed their elbow the size they did for a reason IMO and I believe the OEM setup is better than anything out there. Filter is a good upgrade though-sounds great!
Appreciate 0