Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
This morning at the feeder. Some serious backlighting here (facing east), but the 400 5.6 with its very nice hood handled it well.

Some lessons here. I left my focus setting as it was, which was center point expanded. That worked fine for BIF against a blue sky, but here it tended to grab focus on the greatest area of contrast, which was the tree trunk against the background sky. Just a couple inches off. I could have shot stopped down a bit, but I was already shooting too slow at 1/800 and didn't want to bump the ISO on the 7D any further than 800. Switching to center point only would have helped tighten up the focus, I think. I also got some images of cards and bluejays flying in and out of the feeder, but 1/1800 was too slow to really grab those shots. My 6D cranked to ISO 2000 or higher would have been a better choice for the flying shots as well as the increased DOF.
Consider trying ISO 1600, but with +1 EV for most of those birds.

There were all back lit, and nicely I might add, but you might try the evening light to get direct light and shoot at ISO 400 and 800 at f/8 and SS over 1/1000-sec.

Great colors.

Dave