View Single Post
      08-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #29
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
The other visible metric of quality would be the sizes and fit of all the shifter linakge bushings/bearings. They clearly suck. I call that a design and quality issue.
Wait a minute! Is that what you meant when you said "loosey-goosey shifter"?

OK, figuring perhaps I missed something, I went back to the video, and watched it twice more, front to back - and found absolutely zero reason for you to think the way you do. In fact, shift action seemed routinely crisp throughout.

I hereby challenge any and all readers of this string to find a trace of the slop in the shifter that Swamp finds to be evidence of poor quality.

Swamp, what you're referring to is engine/transmission movement caused by 500+ foot pounds of torque fed through non-solid motor mounts. You'll find similar movement in a Z06, or in fact any other big-inch, high-torque engine/transmission combo. The linkage, having been bolted directly into the transmission in this case, faithfully follows along.

It simply isn't a quality issue. It's the nature of the beast, and the only way around it is to go to solid engine and transmission mounts, which when installed in any street car will make it feel as if you're sitting in a blender.

OK, I stand corrected. You could also theoretically remote mount the shift mechanism (only by redesigning this particular box, however), but you would only do this if shift quality akin to stirring a bucket of rocks with a baseball bat was your design goal.

Bruce
Appreciate 0