View Single Post
      11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #9
1Cyrus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMD View Post
In "short", I'd vowed to keep this car stock. So soon as I started thinking exhaust, I figured I'd keep it simple and not go nuts and spend $$$$.
From previous experience, exhaust modification is terribly frustrating. Something's gotta give.
I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted out of an exhaust on the M3.
Dinan seemed to fit the bill, so did Akra.
With both brands being $$$, I figured I'd get a nice rear section and "settle", cause I've never heard any exhaust sound bad out of this motor.
Agency Power was great, but not for me.
I decided I'd get the Dinan afterall and pair it up with an X pipe to give it character since the rear section alone wasn't mad enough for me when I heard it.
Again, midpipe from Dinan $$$ would require a software tune $$$. So I figured I'd go half way and get the Challenge "street" x pipe and not deal with CEL, and at half the cost, why not.
Love the effect of the Challenge "street" x pipe on Agency Power (and on Dinan rear section I now have paired with it), but being a daily driver and driving with my kids to school and such, the low rpm resonance/booming in cabin sound got annoying if I wasn't driving sprited.
So with Agency Power and Challenge "street" x pipe I was 40% happy and 60% not. I had to find a better balance.
So a sale on Dinan lands me the rear section I had originally wanted.
Now that I regret cutting up the OEM pipe and having a clamp that I'm paranoid about it leak or move, I've decided to just do what was right for me in the first place, get the complete Dinan section and software.
Spend the money, move on and enjoy it.

Its different for everyone I'm sure, but this is my route.
I'm a very meticulous person and very keen on detail, so if its not just right, it'll drive me nuts.

Should be getting Dinan midpipe tune late next week and receiving midpipe for install at that time too.

Look for a review of Dinan rear section with Challenge "street" x pipe vs. Dinan midpipe/x pipe, with video (as I had done for the Agency Power).

I hope this helps guide your decision.
Hey Doc, you better start looking around for some good veneer cases, with all the money you are spending on exhaust systems....you could have bought a Porsche Turbo by now...lol....a little dental humor...sorry
Appreciate 0