View Single Post
      10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #67
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
...I'm curious what the RANGE of camber adjustment is. For example, if I installed these plates, set them to their minimum setting, and got an alignment for -2 degrees, what would my camber be after switching them to max camber? And how much does toe change from minimum to maximum?
I can't tell you exactly what camber you will end up with at the extremes of the camber plate, as it always depends on other factors. But on the 1M tester (yes, it's not an M3, but the front suspension is almost identical) we worked with we made no changes to the car except add camber plates and measured a minimum camber of 1.3 and maximum camber of 2.8 degrees. That is a 1.5 degree sweep in the camber plate.

I can make recommendations for alignment, but they are baselines. One of the reasons you use a camber plate (other than more camber) is the ease of adjustability. Depending on the tires you use, the way you drive, the conditions of your bushings and other factors, you might want a little more or little less camber or toe. Experience will tell you how you want the car to feel on the track and street. Do you want it more nervous and quick acting or more stable and slower to react? Learning how to use the adjustability allows you to make changes and fine tune your alignment for your exact situation.