View Single Post
      02-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #18
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
wow...some of you guys amaze me...do you know how much it would probably cost to buy 4 springs from BMW, Japan or anywhere in Europe?

If you want lower....why not get aftermarket springs? What are you so scared of? Warranty?

I just don't get it, if your that scared to put "aftermarket" springs, then leave it as it came from factory!

I mean...to spend tons of money to be 10mm lower? Really?
1. No we don't know. That's why we are asking. Do YOU know?

2. The suspension components are engineered to work with each other. By changing the length and stiffness of the springs, we don't know if the aftermarket springs would still work in harmony with the other OE components.

From the amount of information that is given by most aftermarket spring companies, they don't provide us enough details regarding how, for example, the life of the shocks would change, or how the front/rear balance of the car changes (most springs drop more in the front), or if the front/rear effective spring stiffnesses are proportioned correctly to not cause any understeer (Orb has a lot to say about this), or how riding on the bumpstops changes the force/displacement curve (as preached by Lucid)...

But we DO know that BMW did their homework on this. Hence, by switching to the Japanese springs (assuming that springs are the only difference between US and Japan M3's suspension), we would be able to maintain the proper performance/balance of the suspension and achieve a lower stance that looks better. So, why not?

Warranty may be one of the concerns because we care about the longevity of our beloved M3, but more importantly, many of us who mod our cars care more about maintaining (or even improving) the performance of the car. That's why we would like to make sure that the modified components will not only work, but work properly on the M3.
Appreciate 0