View Single Post
      11-23-2011, 04:41 PM   #269
robb7979
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Where do these old wives tales come from? Skipping gears has no impact on the transmission when done properly. I've got over 1-million miles of skipping gears with no ill effects. Around town I do 1-3 pretty often when I'm in no hurry. Going the other way I might jump from 6th to 3d if I really need to hot-foot it.

Any resistance going from first to second in a healthy transmission is due to mismatch of engine and tranny speed. For instance, if you gently accelerate to 5000 rpm in first and then shift to second, the engine speed will need to drop to around 3000. There'll be resistance if you try to push it in at 4000 or wait until 2000 rpm.

If you go up to 2000 rpm and do the shift and wait a full second, that might cause resistance, but shouldn't result in a grind.

Dave
Absolutely correct. In addition, if you can rev match nicely, you don't even need to clutch to shift. Not that I do it, but just one of the things my dad taught me about manuals. As well as double clutching, which I do do. Nothing like that double thump when you get used to it.
Appreciate 0