View Single Post
      01-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #27
thread killer
Banned
Rep
Drives: faster then your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
I don't think so. I said with THE SAME TYPE, if you read my post. And that means a wet cell, which is what the car has. And that's exactly what the Interstate (and the Champion from WalMart) is.

But as a comment, if a $20 Deltran battery tender detects what kind of battery it's charging and can adjust accordingly, making a car owner having to code a freaking battery is just insane. By the way, BMW motorcycles are the same way (CAN electrical system), and I put an AGM battery and never had a single problem. A gel one might cause an issue since those require less voltage, and die early if charged like a wet cell. And yes, I can personally attest Optimas are crap (but with clever advertising, just like K&N), and will never buy another.

Again, switching to an identical battery than stock can't cause any issues. BMW doesn't make special electrons . I don't need a battery now because I charged it weekly, but when I do, I'll change it myself and report back. Worse case scenario would be to connect the leads to another battery before doing the swap, but don't think it's necessary. I'd rather trade the POS in than paying $500 for a new battery. And no, it doesn't matter if the stupid car cost $18K or $70K. And yes, I rather pay 10, 15 grand or whatever to trade for something else (which I'll eventually do, as this is my first and last BMW) than get raped over a mundane occurrence like a dead battery. I embrace new technologies... when done and applied properly. Happy new year man.

i wasnt commenting on the battery part of what you were saying, i was talking about you thinking all you had to do was relearn the windows.

what you think you know, and what i know i know are two different things. you drive your car, i work on these for a living. guess who would know more about them? just sayin.

so this deltran can detect what battery its charging, huh? i doubt it.
funny how both my snapon and schumacher charger (the snapon is really just a rebranded schumacher) all have a gell cell/AGM/wet cell settings.

you think they would have just put a deltran charger together instead, huh?

i read their site (quickly) and couldnt see where it would detect what type of battery it was charging, but rather it would just charge all types.

BMW motorcycles yes have CAN, but its not the same, once again.
that is like saying your E90 and an E31 are the same, because they both have CAN.

two different birds.
in fact, my BMW motorcycle had an AGM from the factory when i bought it new, whats your point?

hey do what you want. if you want to ignore the facts, then do it. it isnt my car, headache or money.
Appreciate 0