02-05-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
e92 M3 Budget-Minded Track Build

Gentlemen,

First of all, thanks to everyone here for all their contributions. Love the discussions and insights. It is certainly one of the more active track-based forums that I have seen and I have studied many of the threads here. Also lucky that I have access to a few of you guys at our SoCal track days to ask questions. As I write this I'm debating between Chuckwalla or ACS this weekend with my other track car....hope to see some of you.

The goal will be to acquire a stock low mileage example, and only mod where needed, providing the best bang for the buck possible.

Besides doing an inspection to replace worn items, I'm thinking about initial mods. What would you guys recommend? Thinking about my previous e92 - I have an idea about a couple things to get it going. I will not be doing the same build as last time. In fact it will be completely opposite. I'm initially looking to do: whees+tires, brake pads fluid and SS lines, coils and unitized sub-frame. Some minor software coding as well.

Some initial questions on brakes, tires and coils (thanks in advance for responding):

For stock brakes, which pad and fluid do you prefer? I like initial high torque bite and also tend to threshold brake. Not sure this style will work with the stock brakes for long sessions so BBK might be in the future. Also any recommendation for fluid and SS lines?

Wheels will likely be Apex ARC-8's. Not sure of the widths yet as I guess that depends on fitment with the coils I choose. I would like to start with a reasonably priced tire that can see driving to-and-from the track. Street/track tires that I have used previously that I liked are MPSC2's, RE71R's, NT05's, R888's.

Coils and spring rate: Seems like lots to choose from. I would like a multi-adjustable option. And something that comes with camber plates is a plus. I've heard really good things about Bilstein. Of course KW is the popular choice and I've used Ohlins on another track car. Can go wild here but would like to keep the budget in mind. I'm getting old so it has to be relatively comfortable haha. But hey this won't be a daily driver.

I think that's all at the moment. Anyway I'm starting to look at cars this week and hopefully with some luck will have something soon.

Cheers.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11586.00
DrFerry6728.50
Jimzym3115.00