View Single Post
      06-08-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

Lucid,
It took me a while to figure this configuration out and did a couple short distance run's with the trailer and M. After those successes I drove this 600 miles and climbed many steep inclines coming out of California.

The X5 may not be the ultimate tow vehicle but it did very well cruising at 80mph in 100+ degree weather. The downside was 8MPG!!!

I use the x5 for work so I already had it and did not purchases it for towing. However the trailer is 24 feet and about 2200LBS. With the M3 in it I was at the max towing limit 6000LBS. The X5 is the 4.8I and I am always impressed with it on the road. Comfortable, fast and rock solid. Towing 6,000pounds was a little challenging however did it very well and we were very comfortable in it. Plus got a lot of thumbs up at the track.

I am very curious to see the new X5 diesel in this position. I'm thinking better gas millage and of course more torque is a given.

One thing I give BMW credit on is the air suspension. When I loaded the M3 in the trailer the back end sank on the X5. Within a couple minutes the rear end had lifted back up. This can be bad and good. I bet I donated to more wear and tear on the rear air suspension however the good is it didn't sag. There was a LX Lexus next to me that after there Z4 was in the trailer the rear of the lexus was rubbing on the tires. And he had to supercharge it.

A diesel truck is always the best bet but however if you going to sink $75k into something may as well be something you can enjoy without a trailer.
I have put 30,000 miles on this X5 in a year and a half and has been the best road trip SUV I have owned.

Also the Porsche GTS SUV can haul 7,000lbs and does a very good job at it.