12-31-2007, 12:07 PM   #80
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post
The argument of 'why have anything nice' doesn't quite fit for me, here.

My point is that a $20 watch will do basically everything a $1000 watch will do except for impress people. I'm looking at it from a "function over form" standpoint.

We get a BMW because it is a better functioning vehicle than most others... better handling, braking, etc.... And to US, it's usually better looking, but the fact is that we are going for the performance, not neccessarily the impressiveness.
If someone asked you what makes a BMW 3-series superior to a Yugo, you could explain it. Now what if that person said "Big deal - the Yugo will still get you there?" You'd realize that to this person, what makes a good car isn't important.

What your post above really shows, Matt, is that you don't know much about watches - the different movements, crystals, complications, construction methods, histories and certifications. You want to look at your wrist and see what time it is and, like the hypothetical Yugo buyer, you don't much care about the quality of the components achieving the result.

Which is okay. But to judge function over form, as you claim to above, you have to understand what makes a good watch, and there's more to that than "it tells time." That's like the hypthetical Yugo owner claiming the Yugo performs the same as the BMW because both start, stop, and go.

Hopefully, you're smart enough to realize that you don't know enough about watches to understand why some are worth more than others, even if you're not interested enough to learn what those differences are.
Appreciate 0