footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Cool, I have been hunting and hunting for such a track based comparison between DSG and MT. Can you provide a link, quotes, etc.? Did the cars have the same gearing and same weight? Same tires and driver, etc., etc..

But here is what it comes down to. DSG/DCT saves a certain, almost fixed amount of time to get to a given velocity at each and every shift when acclerating. A good estimate for that number is .25-.4 seconds. The time saved to cover a fixed distance then depends on the sum of this time x the vehicle speed at each on power upshift. If the track offers a considerable number of upshifts on power the savings should be visible, it is quite simple.

Hi swamp,

Here is a link to the website of Fifthgear but it's only a bunch of photos of the video and not the video footage, as you will see they super-imposed the manual TT to the right of the S/Tronic car just to show what the actual difference was in distance between the two. I think one of the cars had 18" alloys and it was the manual one which may or may not make a difference, the 18" rims have slightly wider rubber, oh and the S/Tronic car weighs an extra 25Kgs. Both where by Vicki who happens to be a professional racing driver as well as a presenter and it was conducted on the same day.

Like I said it's not scientific but it does show that though the DSG box make a noticeable difference on the straights, overall the difference on the track isn't huge.

Here's the link

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain....ction=Shootout

Edit.

Found the video for the above test.

Appreciate 0