01-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #80
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMD View Post
You've heard it a million times but congrats! What would you say in regards to a BA vs BS in biochem? Both are offered and take similar classes, BA seems to have more electives and has a foreign language req. You can PM your thoughts if you want.
For sure, will PM later this evening
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdoc View Post
I learned a lot in college and I tutored many of the classes I had just completed. However, I don't think I learned a damned thing in Pchem. I still have nightmares from the final 15 years later. But, at least it wasn't Art history.

Matt, regarding the MD/MBA, it was a common thing for docs to do in the past when they ran their own practices. That day has passed and whereas 80% of docs were single specialty private practice 20 years ago, that number now is about 20% and dropping. The overhead is too great and it's going to get much worse as reimbursement drops. Most wind up in hospital owned or multispecialty groups. I don't mean to say that an MBA isn't a good degree, but it's not what it once was in the medical field, assuming you want to practice medicine vs run a practice.

Also, be careful with majors that are very focused. When I graduated with a BS in Biochem, my options were med school, grad school or get a lab job in Seattle starting at $9/hour. Always have a back up plan; I know a lot of people who had to try multiple times to get into med school. Choose a field that interests you and you'll find it easier to study and master the material. Because, as was stated, you're going to spend more time studying than most of your peers.
1fastdoc,

I know what you mean. I really think it varies on schools/professors. Pchem might have been better taught at my school. I'm sure you had a better time with other classes I might have had difficulty in

I definitely agree with the career options associated with majors. Don't narrow yourself down, I was looking at the same options when I was in undergrad. I have friends who had difficulty getting into medical school who are now completing top residencies (such as ENT )

Glad to see a lot of good, sound advice in this thread.

Best of luck Matt
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0