07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #84
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
Well ... it's arguably closer to an E30 than most of its predecessors: the body and chassis are more reconfigured than the E36 M vs. E36 non-M; the weight and dimensions are closer than all M's except the 36. The 1M equals or surpasses many (most?) performance parameters of all M's.

And the particular comparison could eliminate the E36 - E9X iterations (failure of engine "relation") and ALL M5's and M6's" (different series and complete failure of engine comparison). Maybe that is your point. Agreed.

Not arguing. Just (again ) making an observation that any claim of "character" or "spirit" based upon hardware is inherently flawed. Now ... if someone wants to say "I just don't like the damn Exx" then I'm okay with a personal preference.

Except those that don't like a 1M without driving it, of course.

I hear this all the time. The 1m is more similar to the e30 because it went on a diet or is a smaller.

The e9x/e30 situation is analogous to the evolution of birds. Although Dinosaurs do not physically (phenotypically) resemble birds, birds evolved from dinosaurs. Similarly, although the e30 does not resemble the e9x via the number of cylinders in the engine, weight, luxury options or whatever, the same m3 DNA courses through them. Just as dinosaurs and amphibians look similar superficially (at least more so than dinosaurs and birds), evolutionarily they are not related to each other. Not even close. This is the same with the e30 and the 1m. Although they share a few superficial characteristics, the 1m lacks the m3 DNA and thus the 1m cannot be considered in the same vein as the m3 because it is an evolution of the 1 series.
Appreciate 0