View Single Post
      11-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
bobbyz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

SubwOOer is bang on. Depends what you are going to be using the car for in the winter. Are you taking it up skiing in a snowstorm? Are you just driving the car on nice sunny Sundays in the winter, but also want a winter tire just in case you get caught in some snow?
If you dont plan to go out in any of the big snowstorms, I highly recommend the Hankook Icebear W300. It is VERY inexpensive, and it is a performance oriented snow tire so in the dry you do not give up too much performance compared to the softer Blizzaks etc. That said, I use the hankooks as my daily driver and did not get stuck in the snowstorms last year. I honestly think that with any decent winter tire, you will not have a problem with the M3...the problem is going to be when you enter an intersection that has not been fully plowed yet. If you beach the car on a pile of snow, a winter tire is not going to help you. With DSC fully activated, it is VERY hard to spin this car. You would have to enter a corner WAY too fast to get into any trouble. I have used The icebears on my previous 3series (2 winters) and on my M3 last winter and only got stuck once in the 325i when I entered an intersection with a pile of snow higher then the ground clearence and the rear tires were lifted up too much. Like I said before, even a Nokian, can not help you when the tires are off the ground. Luckily it was just down my street so I ran home, got a shovel and was out in 5min.
Appreciate 0